Education and Professional Development
Ag Chat Radio Show - Each semester AWA members host "Ag Chat", a radio show on UW-Madison's Radio Station: 91.7. On the show, AWA members discuss agricultural topics, interview various guests from the agricultural community, and raise awareness about current happenings in agriculture.
Breakfast on the Farm – For 20 years, AWA has sponsored a breakfast as a means to educate the greater Madison community about the food they eat and the people who produce it for them. A food drive is held in conjunction with this event to support the Second Harvest Food Bank of Southern Wisconsin.
Formal Interviews – Held twice a year, formal interviews provide real-life experience for the student members as they prepare for internship and career interviews.
Etiquette Dinner – The Association of Women in Agriculture holds a dining etiquette workshop for AWA student members.
Networking Dinners – Monthly events are held in and around the Madison area, allowing students and alumni to network in a casual setting.
AWA Day – Each spring, AWA holds an annual meeting and banquet. Fundraisers at the event - which include a silent auction and basket auction - generate income for AWA’s fund at the UW Foundation, which provides students members scholarships.
General Meetings – Business meetings are conducted regularly using Robert’s Rules of Order.
- Blood drives are held throughout the year to replenish the community blood supply.
- Cards for Children's Hospital Patients - Members show off their creative skills and make cards for Children's Hospital patients during the holiday season.
- Campus Clean-up - Members take the time to clean up an area of the UW-Madison campus.
- Dairy Bowl – members support UW-Extension and the Dairy Science department by volunteering their time to help run the Wisconsin 4-H Dairy Bowl Contest.
- Food Drives to support: Second Harvest Food Bank of Southern Wisconsin, Community Action Coalition of South Central Wisconsin.
- Ronald McDonald House - members volunteer an afternoon each semester to clean or cook at the Ronald McDonald House.
- Run/walk events are held throughout the year for members to raise money and awareness for worthy causes as determined by the membership such as the Parkinson’s Run, American Cancer Society Relay For Life and Dane County Literacy Network.
- Salvation Army - members volunteer to serve meals at the Salvation Army or volunteer to ring bells for the Salvation Army during the holiday season.
Student Social activities
- Association Activities – members, together with other agricultural organizations on campus including Alpha Gamma Rho, Babcock House, Collegiate Farm Bureau, and Sigma Alpha Sorority meet for group dinners, sporting events and other activities.
- Sister Activities – members enjoy outings including going out to eat, movies, bowling, ice skating, sporting events, and socials.
- Homecoming Week - Members team up with the Babcock House to compete in the University of Wisconsin – Madison Homecoming Week activities, including nominating Homecoming court members, participating in the Badger Games, homecoming parade float contest and other events.
Today, AWA has more than 300 members and friends who provide housing, support educational excellence, scholarships and professional development to women majoring in agriculture and agriculture-related fields. AWA provides opportunities for students, alumni and friends to advance their education, foster networking, develop life skills, build relationships and develop leaders in agriculture today.